Welcome to the 17th International Baikal Summer School on HEP and Astrophysics
We are pleased to annonce the 17th JINR-ISU Baikal Summer School on Physics of Elementary Particles and Astrophysics, which will take place from July 13th to 20th, 2017, in a picturesque village Bol'shie Koty (Big Cats) on the shores of the lake Baikal.
We invite undergraduate and graduate students as well as early-career PhDs (postdocs) to attend the School. The working language of the school is English. The School offers a unique experience of full scientific immersion "Siberian style":
- a week of lectures given by world experts on variety of topics (Standard Model and beyond, neutrino physics, LHC results, cosmology, gravity, astrophysics),
- plenty of time for questions and informal discussions with lecturers,
- intensive study sessions on topics of the lectures held in small groups,
- an opportunity to give a presentation or present a poster of own work,
- friendly atmosphere, new contacts and friends,
- and finally the stunning views of the lake Baikal and Siberian Taiga.
For the list of speakers and topics, see
The registration is open!
To register for 17th JINR-ISU Baikal Summer School on Physics of Elementary Particles and Astrophysics please fill the Registration form
Accommodation and Facilities
The accommodation booked for the School in Bolshie Koty provides comfortable stay in wooden houses in wild nature. The conference hall has all necessary lecture equipment, and the coffee breaks are regularly served. Organizing it all in plain nature is a know-how of the Baikal school.
Please be aware that the internet connection at B. Koty is limited. The mobile calls are possible with MTS and Tele2 SIM-cards only.
See also some Useful information about the venue and travelling.
The school fee is 13 000 rub (~210 US dollars) for students and PhD students and 18 000 rub (~290 US dollars) for PhDs and others. The fee covers accommodation in Bolshie Koty, meals (full board), the welcome party and closing dinner, the coffee breaks, and the excursion. The fee is to be paid in cash only. Unfortunately, the financial support for students will not be available.
Bol'shie Koty is a small village in the Irkutsk region in Eastern Siberia. The nearest major airport is in Irkutsk. When planning your travel, please take into account the following:
- The participants are expected to arrive to Irkutsk, either on July 13th or earlier. The usual route to Irkutsk from abroad is by plane via Moscow. The flights arrive to Irkutsk early in morning, so be prepared for a night flight. The two major companies which serve several flights per day are Aeroflot and S7 Airlines. Please notice that summer is the high season at the lake Baikal, so please book your tickets well in advance.
- The local organizers will pick them up at the airport, bring together, and organize for the boat Irkutsk-B.Koty (1600 rub per person) on July 13th, in the afternoon. If you arrive on July 13th in the morning, you will be met at the airport and brought directly to the boat. If you arrive earlier, you'll need to book a hotel in Irkutsk. The LOC can assist you in booking an affordable hotel.
- On the way back, the boat from B.Koty arrives to Irkutsk in the late afternoon, while the flights from the Irkutsk airport depart in the morning. Most probably, you will need an overnight stay in Irkutsk. We can recommend you several hotels in Irkutsk.
NEW!!! Aeroflot has a new flight from Irkutsk to Moscow in the evening. So you can hit the road on July 20th.
The school is organized jointly by the Irkutsk State University and JINR (Dubna).
Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the organizers via baikal.school.hep.astro at gmail.com or directly the scientific secretary Tatiana Antoshkina via ta.antoshkina at gmail.com
The School is present in the social networks: